By Gene And Katie Hamilton
These simple solutions to lowering your heating bill cost next-to-nothing but pay back in reducing your energy bills during the cold weather months. Make these adjustments and enjoy a warm winter indoors without breaking your budget.
- Replace the filter in your heating system every month so it can work efficiently. A dirty filter blocks the air flow making it work harder to heat your rooms.
- Close doors and heating ducts in unused or seldom-used room, don't pay to heat them.
- Move furniture off of and away from heating ducts so it doesn't prevent the flow of heated air in a room.
- Seal gaps around doors and windows with caulk to button up the openings where cold air can enter. For drafty windows use a window insulation kit to cover the entire window.
- If there is an attached garage install a garage door threshold that seals the gap against cold air, rain and snow.
- To keep heated air from escaping up the chimney, close the damper of the fireplace.
- Keep draperies or window shades open on the sunny side of your house.
- Hire a local heating and cooling professional to tune up your system every year to keep it running at peak performance.
Related Articles and Job Costs:
LOWER HOME HEATING COSTS
4 EASY WAYS TO SAVE ENERGY
COST TO CAULK WINDOWS
COST TO WEATHERPROOF A DOOR
COST TO INSTALL A GARAGE DOOR THRESHOLD
COST TO WEATHERPROOF A WINDOW