By Gene And Katie Hamilton
Here’s advice about getting your home sparkling clean and organized for Spring from our readers and the folks at Bissell. These ideas will freshen your rooms so they sparkle and shine shedding all signs of being closed up for the winter. Don’t plan to tackle these ten steps all at one time. Figure on spending a few hours at a time and before you know it you’ll be starting the new season with a squeaky clean home.
It starts with making a plan to create a cleaning checklist that outlines tasks for every room. As you move from room to room, you'll feel encouraged and motivated as you check items off your list.
- Get Rid of Stuff. Go through each room and closet and declutter, donate or toss what you’re no longer using.
- Create an Enjoyable Work Environment. Turn on the radio, make a playlist of upbeat music to keep you energized through your cleaning routine or select an audiobook to keep your brain engaged while you clean.
- Open the Windows. When the weather permits let fresh air into the home and reduce the smell of cleaning supplies.
- Go from High to Low. Clean from the upstairs down and from top to bottom in a room. Dust and wash down surfaces before moving to vacuuming or mopping. This way, you won’t drop dust or crumbs on an already clean floor.
- Find Your Vacuum’s Extension Tool. Use it to clean hard-to-reach nooks and crannies, behind and under furniture, baseboards, window blinds, ceiling corners, and light fixtures.
- Clean Appliances. Wash the dishwasher, refrigerator, freezer and washing machine inside and out, including knobs and buttons. Also, wash or replace filters and other parts as needed.
- Spot Clean Well-used Surfaces. Remove handprints on doors and handles of kitchen cabinets, room doors and exterior doors.
- Clean the Windows. Before washing the glass, wipe away dirt in the sill and channels.
- Clean the Floors. Wash all the floors and vacuum rugs and carpeting.
For an extensive review of handheld vacs, here's a link to Best Handheld Vacuums from Groom & Style.
For more advice click here for our database of HOME HINTS & TIPS from our readers.