Hire a Pro Advice: Replace Drawer Glides

Here's where to find a handyman to replace drawer glides that won't operate properly.

By Gene and Katie Hamilton

Replacing drawer glides can be done by just about any tradesman. It requires the skills of a handyman, a jack-of-all trades who can evaluate, estimate and complete small home repairs. You'll usually find they advertise in local newspapers and are listed as "Handyman Service" in the "Yellow Pages". If there's a bulletin board in a hardware store or home center you may find postings of their business cards.

Call a handyman service when you have more than one job. Often they charge a minimum fee to cover the expense of traveling so make it worthwhile for you and the handyman. If you have to take off work to be home for the repair work, you'll benefit from having more than one job on your house "to-do" list checked off.

If the sticky drawer is part of a chest of drawers, you may want to seek a cabinetmaker who specializes in the restoration of antiques and can evaluate the drawer and condition of the piece. Installing metal glides in a true antique would most likely destroy much of its value.