Hire a Pro Advice: Install a Circuit Interrupter

Get help finding an electrician to install an arc-fault circuit interrupter and learn what should be in a contract between a homeowner and an electrician.

By Gene and Katie Hamilton

To find an electrician install an arc-fault circuit interrupter ask friends and neighbors for a referral, use the Yellow Pages or go online and use a contractor referral service. You want to be assured that the electrician who does the installation is licensed and bonded and that his/her work meets the standards of the local building codes.

Hire a licensed electrician who is responsible for the workmanship and quality of his or her workers. There are two levels of electricians: master and journeyman. A master electrician knows the National Electrical Code and any state requirements, has passed a test and has at least two years experience. A master electrician is qualified to plan, design, install and maintain electrical systems. A journeyman electrician is licensed by the state to install wiring and equipment. Some states require that a journeyman work with a master electrician. This license may be revoked if the electrician has a history of doing shoddy work. Always hire a licensed electrician because they take pride in their work and value their licenses. And remember, if you are hiring an unlicensed electrician to do a side job or work on the weekends, you don't have much recourse if the work is unsatisfactory.

Here are the basic points that should be included in a written contract with an electrician to install an arc-fault circuit interrupter:
  • Description of the work to be completed with a detailed description of the arc-fault circuit interrupter to be used (brand name and specifications)
  • Cost of interrupter and related material and all warranties from the manufacturer
  • Cost of labor and amount of deposit, if required
  • Job installation date