Hire a Pro Advice: Install a GFCI

Get advice about finding a tradesman to install a GFCI outlet in your home.

By Gene and Katie Hamilton

This small job could be done by just about any tradesman. It requires the skills of a handyman, a jack-of-all trades who can evaluate, estimate and complete small home repairs. You'll usually find they advertise in local newspapers and are listed as "Handyman Services" in the Yellow Pages. If there's a bulletin board in a hardware store or home center you may find postings of their business cards.

Plan to call a handyman service when you have more than one job. Often they charge a minimum fee to cover the expense of traveling so make it worthwhile for you and the handyman. If you have to take off work to be home for the repair work, you'll benefit from having more than one job on your house "to do" list checked off.

If you plan to sell your house and want to upgrade the whole house with GFCI devices to meet building code requirements, consider hiring an electrical contractor. The scope of the job and the contractor's knowledge of the codes make it a good investment.