Hire a Pro Advice: Build a Stone Wall
Get help finding a landscape contractor to build a stone wall. And get advice about what should be included in a contract between a homeowner and landscape contractor.
By Gene and Katie Hamilton
A landscape service is a company, that does a variety of gardening installations and maintenance work, is listed in the Yellow Pages as "Landscape Contractors". These contractors usually specify in their advertisements the scope of work they do so look for those emphasizing they do "custom designs." While they may not have someone on their staff who builds stone walls, they will have access to a sub-contractor who does that kind of work. You can also use an online contractor referral service to find someone with experience building a stone wall.
A contract with a landscaper contractor to build a stone wall should include:
- a concise explanation of the work to be completed including the the type and size of stones used
- how the wall will be constructed, depth of foundation, its length and height
- the names of planting materials, if any, (including size and appearance) to be used
- any warranty for the replacement of materials that die after planting
- additional fees for equipment rental, hauling service etc.
- total charge that includes the labor and materials
- payment schedule
- beginning and completion date for the work
You might also be interested in: